Friday, February 5, 2010

Follow up to previous post

One of my many followers made a comment about my profits on the previous post..LOL…I have sooo many followers.. He seemed surprised most of my profits came from DoN SNG’s. The obvious reason is because that is what I play 95% of the time when I am online. The real question is why though?? There are several reasons why I focus on DoN tourneys instead of all the other options I have. 1) EXTREMELY LOW variance. I don’t think there is anything else out there with nearly as low of a variance as DoN SNG’s. You only need to beat ½ the table and there is always at least 5 losing players at each table in the low buy-in levels. Low variance for me means less chance to go on tilt. I am in the money 70-75% of the time in these at the $1 & $5 levels. What’s a good standard SNG rate? 35%? I used to be and most likely am still a horrible tilter so this is a safe game for me. 2) I HATE to gamble! A 50-50 coin flip makes me sick. That’s not good enough for me.. I want 80-20 when I put all my chips in. I did a regular SNG last night just for a change. I had 4 coin flips during the tourney..luckily I won all 4 or I would not have cashed. I went to heads up dead even in chips with the other guy and got my 80-20 and he went runner runner to get a straight to give me a 2nd. I can live with losing the 80-20 at the end, but I hate playing tourney after tourney flipping coins. In DoN’s there is no need to be flipping coins and since you only need to beat ½ the table you can be more patient and wait for the 80-20’s more often. 3) Every type of game has it’s own nuances that you need to know to really be good at it. There’s a certain feel and flow to each type of game and if you are out of synch with that flow it makes things tough. I am really in synch with that flow on DoN’s. I know exactly when I need to change my style and when to attack or when to fold. So basically I think I have figured out how to play a DoN well and when I say “figured out how to play” I mean in repeatable execution in actual game play. I KNOW how you are supposed to play a regular SNG or a MTT and even a cash game ( I’ve read all those fancy books remember! LOL ). But “knowing” how to play and actually doing it in live play is two different things. I just am not in synch with those nuances in the other games very well. Needless to say I was not comfortable in that regular SNG last night and kind of felt like a fish out of water.
A couple of drawbacks to the DoN’s that I have seen and heard other complain about is their earning potential and how boring they are. A good MTT player or a good SNG player is going to make more money than a good DoN player playing equal number of tourneys, but DoN’s really lend themselves to massive multitabling because the endgame is so different. They also don’t last nearly as long as a regular SNG so if you are multitabling you can put in a much higher volume with lower variance on DoN’s. The other main complaint I hear is that they are boring. What does that have to do with anything? If you are just an action junkie you are going to probably be a losing player anyway so play something else then. Your other option is if you think they are boring just play more tables. You get enough tables going and you should be able to stay plenty busy.
So that’s “why” my profit comes mainly from DoN tourneys. At least from my point of view..but then again.. I suck at poker. As long as I don’t suck as bad as five other people at my table though I am o.k. LOL

Until next time.
Dave

No comments: